Monday, January 30, 2012

"Hunger Games" vol.2 I have done it again, read it in 1 1/2 days.

Well, the update is: I'm still highly addicted to the book! All I keep thinking is "Thank God I have all of the books, because to wait for the next to come out would have been horrible!" I mean, the author leaves you hanging at the end of each book, so it must have been very hard for those reading them as they came out. Once you've began reading the second book, that original notion of how disturbing the plot is, no longer bothers you. Now you know the characters and you are attached to them. Which reminds me of how the "capitol people" react to the "winners" of the games. Still, the notion of how disturbing it is, is always in the back of my mind.

I was doing a little research on the book to find out of others readers who have felt the same way that I did and that's when I found out the book was meant for young adults. I was disturbed by that idea, because it is SO aggressive. Told my latinasian (bf), and he said that "most kids these days watch that and even worse things. TV, games, movies, it's all very violent." Couldn't argue with that fact. I can't help but notice how the romance reminds me of the triangle between the characters of "the twilight" books. However, in "the twilight" books it is very clear who the heroine loves, here it is a bit debatable.
Anyway, I read a review in The New Yorker and what they wrote really got me thinking, here it is: "Depending on the anxieties and preoccupations of its time, a dystopian Y.A. novel might speculate about the aftermath of nuclear war (Robert C. O’Brien’s “Z for Zachariah”)... or the consequences of resource exhaustion (Saci Lloyd’s “The Carbon Diaries 2015”).... most American schoolchildren are at some point also assigned to read one of the twentieth century’s dystopian classics for adults, such as “Brave New World” or “1984.” This is so true! And that got me into a whole other thing by it self. You see, I discussed this information with my latinasian, of course! and told him as well, how they keep doing references to roman times. Where there was emperor and their riches and ALL of their slaves, etc. He says to me "it is not very different from now. I feel like the US is the Capitol and all of the countries that they take from are the 'districts.' If one revels, they attack." This may sound extremely dark and perhaps not what the writer intended, however some of the ideas ring true.


But that Suzanne Collins has my heart in her hands as I cannot stop my self from reading page after page. I keep telling my self "one more chapter and I will go to bed" but it doesn't work, I read until my eyes won't let me anymore. So, I am begging you, read them! Maybe I am taking the whole idea of the book too deeply, but I can't help my self as I like analyzing and my mind always goes and wonders. However, I am not planning on starting a revolution or anything like it ;) But I have to write it, because it is fun to scratch your head and think outside the box. So go ahead, read it and see for yourself. Tell me, what do you think of the book? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...