Monday, January 2, 2012

"The Hunger Games" like a car crash that you can't stop yourself from watching

I read the first book of the popular trilogy "The hunger games" by Suzanne Collins. People kept telling me to read it, my latinasian (bf) as well, then the movie is coming out in March, and so I thought "ok it is time." Read the book in a day and a half! Have to say that I am an obsessive reader, so once I start I must finish. But even for me, this was fast. It is an easy fast read. A popcorn book, if you will. The story in fact, is disturbing. It is like watching a car crash without being able to turn around. The worse is how at the beginning as a reader you feel guilty to find this disturbing book so entertaining, but that disappears, and you are consumed by the story.
As I started reading, I started to understand the setting of it: A futuristic book. No spoiler alerts! this is pretty basic information, unless you don't want ANY info, then don't continue reading. It is based on the idea of sometime in the future. The United States is destroyed, then there is the creation of 13 colonies or districts, as they are called in the book, with a capitol, where the central government lives. It reminded me of feudalism. As if it were a feudal time where the districts are separeted from each other, not knowing much from the other colonies, and trapped inside fences. Of course, in medieval times it would be a fortress and not a fence, and that that was for protection, and in the book it is for government control. They further explain how the 13th district rebelled against the capitol and was destroyed. So, to remind the remaining 12 districts to never revel against the government, a "game" was created. The game consists of randomly selecting two kids from each district, a boy and a girl. Then put them in an "arena" to fight and kill each other, where the one survivor "wins". What does it sounds like you say? The roman times, somehow we have gladiators here. They are treated nearly as slaves in the book, so it makes sense. But the fact that the whole country is watching this "game," called "hunger games" is beyond disturbing (to be fair most of them are forced by law). The rich ones are being entertained by the "hunger games," all kinds of awful things are created to make it a fun view. It is all being recorded so it is a bit like a reality show. Like I said, quite disturbing but couldn't put it down.
After I was done reading it, I discussed the book with my family and bf. My dad kept asking me what I learned from the book. I have no answer, as it is a popcorn book after all. My brother says "that sounds very possible to me." I talk to my latinasian about it and tell him my points of view. And then something clicks, the joke is on us. It is as if we were the capitol being entertained by the "hunger games," how far away are we from being like them? My latinasian says to me "think about it, we watch the news, how much does it affect us to hear about the horrible things that happen?" And then he says something that really sinks in "the government does control what we watch, they say freedom of speech this and that, but in the end, it is what they want us to hear." But what he says next is what really gets me going "maybe the book it's a warning, this is what we are becoming." That statement reminds me of what my father asked me "what did it teach you" ... and then what my brother said "that this was possible."
So what have I learned? Popcorn books are awesome, no matter what. But this one does teach us something, it teaches us to care, to question and to fight. I really can't wait to start the second book, actually I am going to do that just now... Let's see if with more info I can understand better what I must learn. With that said, my recommendation is to read it!!!! I know it doesn't sound like I am promoting it, because of all that I said, but it really is a great book. A fun read that you cannot stop until done, and that it is essential for me when it comes to a book. Enjoy!
P.S. Opinions are welcome, write a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...